Visit the crossroadsRCIA website www.crossroadsrcia.org for further information and to download the sessions.
The Crossroads Activity Book (which accompanies session plans for the Inquiry, Catechumenate and Purification and Evangelisation stages of the RCIA for 9 -12 year olds) can be purchased through our online store.
The purpose of this resource is to provide support to parishes in journeying with young people (ages 9 to 16) who wish to explore and develop their faith with a view to receiving the Sacraments of Initiation. This resource accompanies the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. The goal for this journey is a conversion of heart.
The sessions are designed specifically for young people across two age groups: 9 to 12 years and 13 to 16 years, and adapts the principles of the RCIA to be age-appropriate for young people. (See RCIA 242–249). The sessions contained in this resource will invite young people to enter into this journey of conversion and faith by developing a relationship with Christ, as the Spirit opens their minds and hearts. This will happen in many ways, through:
- Listening to witnesses of the faith and sharing stories
- Suitable catechesis, supported by celebration of the word
- Participation in the liturgical and sacramental life of the parish
- Participation in the mission of the Church through service
- Feeling a sense of belonging by developing relationships within the parish community.
Throughout this journey of faith and conversion, young people will pass through a number of phases, experiencing liturgical rites while focusing on developing a relationship with Christ and the parish community.
The journey for the unbaptised unfolds in the following way:
1. Period of Evangelisation and Precatechumenate (Inquiry)
- First Step – Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens
2. Period of the Catechumenate
- Rite of Election (Although there is no mention of the Rite of Election in part II of the RCIA which deals with initiation of children who have reached catechetical age, it is recommended that the children be invited to attend the Cathedral for the Rite of Election on the first Sunday of Lent.)
3. Period of Purification and Enlightenment
- Second Step: Penitential Rite (Scrutiny)
- Third Step – Celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation
4. Period of Mystagogy
Who is this resource for?
The journey towards Christian Initiation is for a young person who, having experienced the movement of the Spirit in their heart, is now seeking to live a Christian life within the Catholic community. Each person will have a different background and a particular experience with Christianity.
Some, who have been baptised in another tradition, may not have received any catechesis and may have never practiced their faith. Others, who have previously been baptised in another tradition, may have been catechised and actively practising their faith, but are now seeking full communion with the Catholic Church. Some will come with no previous experience of any faith at all. This resource provides a framework for guiding young people who are unbaptised, as well as those who have been baptised in another Christian tradition, and will show the journey to full initiation in the Catholic Church through the various periods and Rites.
It is designed to assist catechists who accompany a young person on their journey of faith.